How to Select a
Professional Design Build Contractor
Our owners have more than 55 years of experience building
and remodeling homes in Central Florida
Use these 18 questions to take the guesswork out of
hiring a professional contractor to design
and build your project
The following information is provided to assist homeowners in choosing a professional contractor in the Orlando area to design and build their project. These questions will help you if you are planning to add on, update your kitchen or bathrooms, build a new home or renovate your entire home.
Asking the right questions and requiring that each contractor provide their answers in writing will help you weed out those contractors that don’t have the experience you need for your project or that don’t have the best reputation. Just because someone seems nice or was referred to you it doesn’t mean that they have the experience to complete a quality project that will look good and last.
Here are several examples about licensing
that most people are not aware of …
- • There are different types of licenses in Florida so the first question you should ask is: “What type of construction license do you hold in Florida?”
- • Licensed contractors are only authorized to construct the types of improvements included within the “scope” of their license. For example, if your home will be more than two habitable floors, make sure the contractor has a “general” or “building” contractor license.
- • You can also contact the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation to ensure that the contractor you are selecting has the proper type of license for the construction, home remodeling or home renovation project you are considering.
The 18 questions below are the most common ones we have been asked over the years. This is not an exhaustive list and some of the questions may not apply to your project.
Please don’t be bashful. Every quality contractor in the Greater Orlando Metro area will be able to answer these questions and will be willing to provide their answers to you in writing.
We will be happy to provide you with a complete copy of our consumer guide and step-by-step installation processes once we schedule our first meeting so you will have our answers in writing. We know this sets a standard that we can be proud of and that the majority of our competitors can’t match. Upon request we will gladly provide you with our written proof of compliance with each question.
Here are three areas we recommend you consider in evaluating every design build, general or remodeling contractor you seriously consider hiring:
- 1. Reputation and Stability of the Company
- 2. Experience and Operations
- 3. Service, Follow-Up and Follow-Through
These questions will provide you with significant information about the contractor’s reputation, policies, procedures and experience.
For each area simply ask the questions and ask the design build, general or remodeling contractor to provide the written evidence to support their answers.
Reputation and Stability of the Company
- 1. Are you licensed in Florida to complete the type of project we are considering?
- 2. For each owner in your company — Will you give us a complete list of all of the legal entities they have been an owner, shareholder or partner in that has been in the home improvement or home contracting business?
- 3. Have you or any of the other owners ever filed for bankruptcy for this or any other company that they were an owner, shareholder or partner in?
- 4. Will you supply a copy of your current insurance certificate?
- 5. Will you provide us with your Lead Safe Work Practices certification? (This is a requirement for homes built prior to 1978)
- 6. Will you provide me with at least 10 current customer references?
- 7. What other letters of reference do you normally provide?
- 8. What professional building and remodeling industry associations do you belong to?
Experience and Operations
- 9. Do you have a price guarantee? Please explain this in detail.
- 10. Will you provide me with a sample contract including the details you normally include?
- 11. Will you provide a resume of work experience for my project supervisor?
- 12. What specifically do you do to maintain quality on your projects?
- 13. How often will you complete a walkthrough with me during the project?
- 14. Do you have a written policy regarding drug and alcohol use by your crews?
Service, Follow-Up and Follow-Through
- 15. How long is your warranty? Please explain exactly what it covers.
- 16. Have you ever repaired a project after the warranty expired?
- 17. What is your company phone/email policy?
- 18. How often will you provide me with an update on progress?
We hope these questions give you some general guidelines for the type of information you need to make the best choice when it comes to hiring, evaluating and working with a professional contractor to design and build your project.
Whether your dream is to build a new home, complete a much needed bathroom or kitchen makeover, add a master bedroom suite, complete a multi-room renovation project we have the experience to complete your project on time and on budget.
Serving the Greater Orlando Metro Area including:
Orlando, Windermere, Winter Garden, Winter Park, Heathrow, Lake Mary, Longwood, Ocoee, Winter Springs, Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Casselberry, Sanford, Clermont, Belle Isle, Edgewood, Oviedo, Davenport and surrounding communities.